They lived; they labored; and they died in our midst as soldiers. No greater tribute could be given them. Bereaved relatives will ever long for details which will tell them more and more about the last moments of their loved ones. In the list below we have tried to state the circumstances surrounding the death of each one. If the account seems brief and incomplete, it is because the trying conditions of the battlefield prevented us from keeping a more complete and satisfactory account. No one more than the men who fought side by side with them realizes what a debt of gratitude and honor we owe to our absent comrades. A bereaved mother of one of our boys, writing for a copy of the history, had this to say: "God bless the 77th, I am proud of it, my poor boy was a member of it." The death of that valiant boy brought glory to the outfit of which he was a member. We who have survived the terrible experience owe much of the glory of victory not to ourselves, but to the men who helped to win it, at the cost of their own precious lives.  May time never permit us to grow forgetful of the duty that we owe to their sacred memory.  We have banded together in the 4th Division Association for the purpose of keeping throughout the years to come the associations which sacrifice made dear. Our duty to our fallen comrades is paramount. On the battlefields where they fell large monu­ments have been erected. These are but the outward expression of a sentiment which is deep in our hearts and which time will but mellow.

To bereaved loved ones we express our most sincere sympathy. Their cross is heavy and hard to bear, but its burden grows lighter and lighter in the glory which the sacrifice of loved ones has won. All honor to the silent, absent heroes of the 77th. In the minds and hearts of each and every out of us is indelibly impressed the golden lesson which they taught us at great cost. Their death has not been in vain. Dying, they gave inspiration to those about them to live obedient, loyal lives, no matter what the cost. Their courage, their steadfastness in trial, their spirit of forgetfulness of self in the interest of others are virtues which will bear fruit in the lives of those to whom they set the golden example. To them we owe a debt of lasting gratitude. In years to come let us treasure more and more their sacred memory and let not any opportunity go by of honoring them and of whispering a silent prayer in their behalf. We claim close ties with the relatives of our fallen heroes. In the future reunions which it is contemplated to hold there will always be a warm reception for the relatives of any of our boys who may wish to be present to represent them.

All honor to our first fallen comrade, Sergeant Samuel C. Shawn

SAMUEL C. SHAWN, Wagoner, Supply Company
On the night of August 8, 1918 , Sergeant Shawn had crawled into his tent-covered dugout after a most­ strenuous day. He had been engaged since early morning in bringing up rations to the hard-fighting batteries. About 10:30 p. m. the enemy opened up an attack on a battery of six-inch rifle guns nearby. One of the shells burst near Sergeant Shawn's dugout, A fragment struck him, causing him to lose consciousness immediately. In the hope that he might still be alive he was given first aid and hurried to a hospital in the rear. At the field hospital in Marueil-en-dole it was discovered that Sergeant Shawn's wound had caused instant death. The next day he was buried in the little cemetery at Marueil-en-dole. A large cross and American flag were set on his grave as a tribute to our first fallen hero. The glorious record of the Supply Company will always be connected with the memory of a most popular, congenial pal and friend. He lived a noble life; his sudden death crowned gloriously a most splendid record. We are proud of him.

CLARENCE O. COLLINS, Private, Battery D
On the night of August 13, 1918 , Captain Strong found it necessary to change his battery position in order to outguess the enemy who seemed to be trying to register on his position. The guns had been removed.. Private Collins, in company with a detail of cannoneers, was engaged in removing the ammunition to the new position. During his labors he paused with a number of other Catholic gunners to go to confession. The work was almost completed when the enemy opened up an attack. All immediately crouched down to escape the flying fragments. Instantly it was learned that Private Collies had been hit. He was immediately hurried to the first aid station in an unconscious condition. He was given first aid and taken to a passing ambulance. On the way to the field hospital at Marueil-en-dole he passed away without regaining con­sciousness. The next day he was buried by the chaplain in the cemetery at Marueil-en-dole.

WILLIAM J. RUPERT, Private, Battery D
The second victim of the attack of August 13, 1918 , on Battery D, was Private William J. Rupert. Our position was just east of the town of Chery - Chartreuve . It was late at night when the attack cane. Private Rupert was likewise engaged in removing ammunition to Battery D's new position. In the darkness Private Rupert was heard to say, "I'm hit." Willing hands immediately placed him on a litter and car­ried him to the first aid station. He was in an unconscious condition. . First aid was given, but it was evident that he could not live long. On the way to the hospital he died without having regained consciousness. He was buried the next day at Marueil-en-dole with his fallen comrades. All honor to Private Rupert, the second victim of Battery D. His death likewise crowned a glorious career.

PHILIP J. CAVAN, Corporal,. Battery D
In the same attack in which Privates Collins and Rupert fell, our comrade, Corporal Cavan, was also hit. He, too, had only a short time before gone to confession. The bursting high-explosive shells were so deadly that their victims could not escape most serious injury. Cor­poral Cavan was immediately placed on a litter by the medical men and hurried to the first aid station in an unconscious condition. He was there bandaged and put into an ambulance. On the way to the field hospital three miles to the rear he passed away without regaining con­sciousness. In Corporal Cavan Battery D lost a most congenial and faithful pal. His splendid record is crowned by a most heroic death. On the next day he was buried side by side with Sergeant Shawn and Private Rupert in the Catholic cemetery at Marueil-en-dole. Fired by the example of these three brave men, Battery D continued its fierce at­tack on the enemy. No danger, no matter how great, could lessen their ardor and courage. In years to come the Vesle campaign will suggest to the men of Battery D the names of Collins, Rupert and Cavan, Bat­tery D's toll in the attack on the Vesle river.

MORRIS ELKAN, Private, Battery F
The circumstances surrounding the death of this brave soldier could not be learned definitely. When the Regiment detrained at Chateau Thierry, he was detailed to guard property which was left behind while the batteries moved ten miles or more to the front. Information which reached the Regiment later was to the effect that on August 15, 1918 , Private Elkan was wounded in an enemy aeroplane attack and died soon afterwards. We regret that we are not in a position to give more detailed information as to his death and burial. Private Elkan was a most faithful and devoted soldier. His many friends of Battery F and of the Regiment do honor to his memory. He died at his post true to the last to his splendid record. Though we were not at hand to administer help to him, we know that the troops who were concentrating in the back areas were there to give him all the attention possible.

CHARLES R. PRATHER, Private, Battery C
About midnight of August 14, 1918 , the enemy opened up a heavy gas attack. Our position was near Chery-Chartreuve. Private Prather was asleep with Private Keefer J. Gray in his dugout near the gun po­sitions. A gas shell penetrated the dugout and slightly wounded Private Prather before bursting. Before he had time to properly adjust his mask Private Prather inhaled the gas. Private Keefer J. Gray assisted him to adjust his mask and then led him to the battery commander's dugout. First aid men and gunners were on hand to help the injured men. Both persisted that they were well able to walk to the first aid station. This incident proves the caliber of these brave men. Rather than be a burden to their buddies who were buried in a cloud of gas, they insisted that they would-walk.  Their wishes, however, were overruled and they were carried to the first aid station. Both men were badly gassed, but they did not seem to realize the extent of it. They were immediately sent back to the rear. On August 16, 1918 , Private Prather passed away at Evacuation Hospital No. 14.

KEEFER J. GRAY, Private, Battery C
After leading his comrade, Private Prather, to the battery command­er's dugout, Private Gray still persisted in giving help, little realizing that he himself was seriously gassed. On the way to the first aid station Private Gray made light of his injury. In a cheerful, lighthearted tone he promised that he would be back with us again in a short while. While being carried to the first aid station he was more concerned about Private Prather than he was about himself. After treatment at the first aid station he was sent to the rear with other gassed patients. Much to our sorrow we learned that Private Gray died on August 23, 1918 , at Base Hospital No. 22. Those who survived the heavy gas attack of August 14th will cherish throughout the rest of their lives the memory of Prather and Gray. No braver soldiers ever donned a uniform. Their spirit of self-sacrifice and unselfishness throughout the whole ordeal left a lasting impression on us. The Regiment takes great pride in their record. It was virtues such as these that made the 77th ever the silent, hard­working, hard-fighting outfit.

CARL, W. TIELSCH, Private, Battery A
During a heavy attack near Thiacourt Private Tielsch was severely wounded by a high-explosive shell.  He was immediately pick up in an unconscious condition and hurried to the first aid station where his wounds were dressed.  A few days later we learned that he had died at Field Hospital No. 15 on September 16th.  His loss was a sad blow to his many friends in Battery A. In Private Tielsch the Regiment loss a very efficient soldier. His record is a most splendid one.

VERNON C. PARR, Sergeant, Battery D
On the morning of September 26, 1918 , Sergeant Parr was wounded by a high-explosive shell. It was shortly after the big drive in the Argonne had begun. Our battery positions were just east of the town o: Esnes. The enemy responded to our attack, which began about 2:30 a. m. Their first shots landed near Battery D. Sergeant Parr was a the time studying his barrage card. When the attack subsided it was learned that Sergeant Parr and four cannoneers had been hit. The; were at once placed in a passing truck and carried into the town of Esnes Of the five men, Parr was the only one who was conscious. "Never mind me," he said, "look after the rest of the boys. I'm not injured badly." At the first aid station he remained conscious while the doctor bandaged the wound in his abdomen. He bore up wonderfully, never showing the least sign of pain. A few days later we learned that he ha died at Evacuation Hospital No. 8. The death of Sergeant Parr was a blow to his many friends. He was a most popular and efficient non- commissioned officer. Battery D felt most keenly his loss, as did his many friends throughout the Regiment.

CHARLES B. DUNCAN, Captain of Cavalry, Commanding Battery F
On the evening of September 29, 1918 , Captain Charles B. Dunce was mortally wounded near his battery positions in the Bois de Sep sarges. During a heavy attach of high-explosive shells Captain Dunce was hit in the leg. The large femoral vein was severed. At once Lieutenant Simmons and a medical man applied a tourniquet in an endeavor to stop him from bleeding to death. He was immediately taken to the first aid station in an unconscious condition. While there he regain consciousness. He made light of his injury and spoke confidently of early return to his fighting battery. He was removed to Field Hospital No. 19 at Cuisy. There he slowly weakened and in the early morning of September 30th he breathed his last. He was buried in the military cemetery northeast of the village church of Cuisy . In the death of Cataro Duncan the Regiment lost a much beloved and devoted officer as friend. For an extraordinary act of gallantry in extinguishing a fire near one of his ammunition dumps, thereby saving the lives of many of his men this gallant officer was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

LEONARD E. THOMA, Chief Mechanic, Battery F
On the evening g of September 29th in the Bois de Septsarges Chif Mechanic Thoma was severely wounded by a high-explosive shell.  When his pals from Battery F, which was at that time undergoing a heavy, attack, ran to his rescue, Mechanic Thoma, who was injured in the arm, said: "They've got me, but never mind, I can walk." He was taken to the first aid station, his wounds dressed, and sent to the rear with the many other victims of Battery F. Sometime later we received the sad news that Mechanic Thoma had died on September 30th at Evacuation Hospital No. 7. Battery F and the Silent 77th are proud of Mechanic Thoma, a brave soldier and true friend.

GEORGE H. PIERSON, Sergeant, Battery C
On October 5, 1918 , Sergeant George H. Pierson was instantly killed by a bursting shell near the Font St Hypolite, Bois de Septsarges. At the time of the attack he was talking to Cook Wladyslaw Kempski, who was also killed in the same attack. Sergeant Pierson was a very efficient non-commissioned officer; his loss was a sad blow to Battery C.

JOHN E. POLNIASZEK, First Sergeant, Battery C
Sergeant Polniaszek had -come up to the gun positions at Font St. Hypolite on October 5, 1918 , to receive orders from his commanding officer, Lieutenant Stokes. He was caught in an attack on the gun po­sitions and instantly killed by bursting shell. He was buried in the mili­tary cemetery nearby (Septsarges woods). Sergeant Polniaszek's death was a heavy blow to Battery C. He had been a most efficient first ser­geant during its long months of intensive training. His death at a time when the battery was hard hit was a blow. Like the other brave victims of the 77th, he knew no danger when it was a question of duty. We mourn his loss, we honor his memory, the only first sergeant of the 77th to give his life in his country's cause.

While talking to Sergeant Pierson near Font St. Hypolite on October 5, 1918 , Cook Kempski was killed instantly by a bursting shell. He had just brought up dinner to the. men at the guns. So sudden was the attack that neither he, ,Pierson nor Polniaszek were able to get under cover. Several other men were severely injured in the same attack. Under cover of darkness Cook Kempski and his two comrades were re­moved to the military cemetery nearby and laid to rest. To this modest youth the men of the 77th owe a most grateful memory. He died brave­ly serving the men who fought hard to take the Meuse river in the dark days of October, 1918.

ELMER LINDBACK, Corporal, Battery C
On the morning of October 2, 1918 , Corporal Elmer Lindback was severely wounded on Septsarges road east of the town of Septsarges . A fragment of bursting shell penetrated his spinal column and partly paralyzed him. While being given first aid he talked to those about him, never showing any sign of pain or suffering. Like the other brave men of Battery C, he was more concerned about the others than about him­self. As we gently placed him in a passing ambulance we little real­ized that his wound would prove fatal. Sometime later we learned that on October 7, 1918 , he passed away at Base Hospital No. 50. His record in Battery C is one that deserves special mention. At all times he was a most efficient soldier. His personality was one that won the respect and admiration of all who knew him. In him the Regiment lost a very capable non-commissioned officer and his comrades a most de­voted friend.

On October 6, 1918 , Private Shiplock was instantly killed in the Bois de Septsarges. The gunners and drivers of Battery D had lined up for coffee. A shell struck in the coffee can and exploded, killing Private Shiplock, who was standing nearby, and wounding fourteen others. Private Shiplock died instantly. He was buried side by side with his comrades of Battery C in the military cemetery at Bois de Septsarges. In Private Shiplock the Regiment lost a brave soldier and a most sincere friend. During the hard fighting at the Vesle and at St. Mihiel this young soldier was always the lighthearted and cheerful cannoneer. No danger was too great, no duty was too difficult for him. Dying, he left to those who knew him the precious heritage of a noble example which will serve as an inspiration to us in years to come.

STANLEY BUTVILOWICH, Wagoner, Supply Company
In the early morning of October 3, 1918 , Stanley Butvilowich was killed by a fragment of shell while asleep in his dugout. Wagoner Lavin, also of Supply Company, was sleeping beside him. When the terrific shell burst near them Lavin arose to find that Stanley was breath­ing his last. Before Lavin could attempt to give him any first aid he passed away without regaining 'consciousness. He was buried in the military cemetery (Bois de Septsarges). Like our other hero of the Supply Company, Sergeant Shawn, Wagoner Butvilowich lost his life while asleep in his dugout. His memory will live long in the minds of his friends, of whom he had a great many. In him Supply Company lost a most congenial, hard-working comrade and friend.

PALMER C. KARNS, Private, Battery A
On the evening of October 7. 1918, in the Bois de Septsarges, Private Karns was instantly killed by a bursting shell. Battery A was getting ready to move to a new position. Private Karns was in the act of rolling his pack when a shell burst near him, killing him instantly.  We rushed immediately to his side to give him first aid, but it could be seen that death had been instantaneous. He was carried to the first aid station in the hope that he might still be alive, but there it was learned conclusively that death had been instantaneous. The next morning he was buried with the long line of 4th Division heroes in the military cemetery of Bois de Septsarges . All honor to this valiant youth. His splen­did record as a soldier was an inspiration to the men who fought side by side with him. His memory will live for years as one who lived a noble life and died a glorious death, true to his duties as Christian and soldier. We mourn his loss. To his bereaved relatives and to the loved ones of all our absent heroes we extend most heartfelt sympathy.

GEORGE W. ENGELKING, Sergeant, Battery B
On October 9, 1918 , in our position just east of the town of Septsarges , Sergeant George Engelking was struck near the heart by a piece of shell fragment. Death was almost instantaneous. Before losing con­sciousness he was heard to say, "Kelly, they've got me this time." Will­ing comrades rushed to his aid, but peacefully he breathed his last before any aid could be given him. He was buried in the military cemetery at Cuisy some distance to the rear. No more efficient or braver soldier ever donned a uniform than Sergeant Engelking. Though young in years, he had the ability of the most experienced soldier. His courage was at all times an inspiration to the men who served at the guns under his direction. In him Battery B lost a most devoted soldier and friend.

Late on the evening of October 19, 1918 , Cook Herman Rifflert was hit in the right side by a fragment of exploded shell. It was in the position which we occupied just east of the town of Nantillois . He had left his kitchen with his friend, Loppy, and was walking near the gun position of Battery B. Though seriously wounded, Cook Rifflert showed won­derful vitality, retaining consciousness all the while. After he had been anointed and prepared for death he was asked by the regimental chaplain if there was any message he wished to have delivered to his loved ones. His last message to his exiled Belgian mother, whose whereabouts he did not know, was this: "Tell mother good-bye. I die for God and country."  He was removed to the first aid station, where his wounds were bandaged, and in a dying condition was carried off to an ambu­lance. On the following day he died at Field Hospital No. 7 and was buried in a nearby military cemetery. The bravery and devotion of this exemplary youth will always be an incentive to those who knew him to live and die as he did, true to God and man.

JOSEPH J. KUHAR, JR., Private First Class, Battery A
On the morning of October 31, 1918 , near Madeleine Farm, Private Kuhar was instantly killed in his dugout.. He was buried in the military cemetery at Madeleine Farm. This young soldier after a hard night's work had gone to rest with a companion who was also killed in the same attack. So sudden was the attack that the boys had hardly time to realize what had happened. Like many of their comrades, they passed away quickly without having gone through the agony of a long suffering.

With his comrade, Private Kuhar, Private Alexander Johnson suf­fered an instantaneous death as the result of a direct hit on their dugout in which the two boys were resting. Only a short time before the chaplain, while hearing confessions among the boys of Battery A, had heard Private Johnson say that he would always be ready to meet death when his time came. To these brave soldiers of Battery A we owe a most tender memory. They died bravely in the beginning of our last drive on the German stronghold of the Meuse river. Their noble lives were an inspiration to the men who served with them at the guns. For years to come the men of Battery A and of the whole Regiment will cherish the memory of these men who lost their lives while fighting one of the hardest battles of our career.

FRANK EBNER, Private, Battery C
On November 1st Private Ebner, while looking for material to build a dugout, was struck by a piece of exploded shell near the battery positions at Madeleine Farm. He was some distance away from the guns when hit. During the heavy attack he had evidently jumped into a shell hole to protect himself. While trying to do so he was hit in the side and died instantly. His brother, also a member of Battery C, was near at hand, but was not aware that Frank was hit until sometime afterwards. The strong and courageous spirit which the bereaved brother showed when informed of the fate of his beloved pal and brother was indeed inspiring.  It showed the wonderful spirit of sacrifice which marked the soldier in action.  When arrangements were made for the burial we brought the body of Battery C’s last hero to the military cemetery near Madeleine Farm. There in simple yet most impressive ceremony we laid to rest the brave and modest youth who gave his life willingly in his country's cause. Bereaved relatives in their sorrow cannot help but feel proud of this boy who, like the thousands of other fallen heroes, met death as a soldier, true to his God and true to his far-away country.

EDWARD A. BOUFORD, Private, Battery D
In the early morning of November 3, 1918 , near Madeleine Farm, while greasing shells preparatory to firing, Private Edward A. Bouford of Battery D was seriously wounded by a flying shell fragment. The fragment entered near the right temple. First aid was immediately given him.' He remained conscious and though severely wounded gave no evi­dence of painful suffering. After being cared for by Dr. Meckel he was carried to an evacuation hospital. Sometime later we received word that Private Bouford had died as the result of his wound. Of all the brave soldiers of the 77th, none showed more courage and resignation than did Private Bouford. So patient was he that one would be led to believe that his injury was only slight. Without a murmur he underwent treatment, all the while talking to those who attended him. He seemed not to realize that his injury would prove fatal. All honor to this youth, the last of the Silent 77th to fall on the field of battle.

In the following list we give the names of our honored heroes who died in Germany . We regret that we are not able to give the details of their illness and death. The reason is that when a man was sent away to a hospital his service record accompanied him; in the event of death we were notified only of the fact; the details are carried on the hospital records. To these loyal comrades the 77th owes a most tender memory. They are heroes of the first order. Having gone through the war from beginning to end, they took part in the march into Germany . There a most bitter enemy, which they were not able to withstand, overcame their war-worn bodies. Great glory is always attached to the memory of the soldier who dies on the field of battle. Equal glory and honor is due to the battle-scarred veteran who, having finished his gruesome work on the battlefield, returns to peace conditions and falls a victim to disease and sickness. To their parents and relatives we extend our most heart­felt sympathy.  The list follows:

JOSEPH A. WILLI, Private First Class, Battery C
Died of spinal meningitis at Base Hospital No. 6, France, on No­vember 21, 1918 .

RAY E. NIPPER, Private, Headquarters Company
Died of pneumonia on November 26, 1918 , at Base Hospital No. 82, Toul , France .

ROY DECAMP, Corporal, Headquarters Company
Died of pneumonia December 3, 1918 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 18. Lorraine .

WARREN S. PERCIVAL, Corporal, Headquarters Company
Died of pneumonia December 7, 1918 , at Evacuation Hospital . No. 19 Lorraine .

FEODORE K. SEMENSOW, Private, Battery C
Died from self-inflicted pistol wound January 8, 1919 , at Zettingen , Germany . Buried in Zettingen.

CHAUNCEY WINDRUM, Cook, Supply Company
Died as a result of accidental pistol wound by another soldier on January 25, 1919, at Kaisersesh , Germany. Buried in Kaisersesh.

BERNARD A. CARR, Private, Battery C
Died on January 26, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

ROBERT J. BURNS, Private, Battery F
Died on January 13, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

FRANK E. WILES, Horseshoer, Battery A
Died on February 23, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

ALBERT O. SWIFT, Sergeant, Battery A
Died on February 24, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

JOHN HENRY, Private First Class, Battery F
Died on February 22d at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Germany.

FRED J. HAMILTON, Private, Battery D
Died on February 19, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

DAVID MOSER, Private, Battery E
Died on March 3, 1919 , at Evacuation Hospital No. 8, Mayen, Germany. Buried in Mayen.

WALTER J. JONES, Private, Battery B
Killed almost instantly by overturned automobile near Bourgeois, France (110 miles east of Tours) on a pleasure trip, June 30, 1918 . He was buried in Grave No. 208, Am. E. F. Cemetery, Saint Symphoriem, Indre et Loire, France.

On the morning of July 4, 1918 , Private Rochester, in company with Private Noble, went out on the target range at Camp de Souge to look for souvenirs. Private Noble kicked a fuse which was lying on the ground. It exploded, setting their clothes on fire. They were found by a range guard and sent immediately to the hospital. Private Rochester, who was severely burned, died at Camp de Souge Hospital on July 30, 1918 .

NOAH NICHOLSON, Private, Battery A.
Died on February 25, 1918 , at Camp Greene Hospital as a result of pistol wound. A fellow soldier who had just been relieved from guard duty and who forgot to remove the bullets from his pistol, was about to begin to clean his automatic and accidentally pulled the trigger, severely wounding Private Nicholson, who was sitting on his bunk nearby.

EDWARD PLACE , JR., First Sergeant, Battery E.
Died at Camp Greene, N. C., May 7, 1918 . Cause of death un­known.

JOSEPH A. CARROLL, Private, Battery A.
On September 22, 1917, Private Joseph A. Carroll was drowned at Queen City Park, Vermont (near Fort Ethan Allen) while bathing.